Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Fit to Print Book Review - Create Glass Jewelry


Create Jewelry: Glass by Marlene Blessing and Jamie Hogsett

This book is the third in the Create Jewelry series from Interview Press with this powerhouse design team!  Just as the title suggests you'll find 21 projects that focus on glass - from seed beads, pressed glass to commercial and artist lampwork.

The book has three sections: classic, special-occasion and fashion forward. The designs range from simple stringing to more complex beaded pieces. Along with the projects you'll find a fascinating look at the history of glass, a primer on the types of glass beads available today and little nuggets of information packed throughout the book.

What I love about the book are some of the more non-traditional projects like ribbon, bead and wire-wrapping to showcase an art beads. I also enjoy the mix of seed bead elements mixed in with wire-wrapping and stringing to introduce off-loom beadweaving to those who may want to stick their toe into the world of beadwork. The designs are a beautiful mix of colors and textures in contemporary styles that will please both the artist and fashionista.

1 comment:

Janeen said...

I had to leave a comment on this post because that book is sitting right next to me on the nightstand. I think I flipped through the first few pages when I picked it up from the library, but haven't gotten far. Now I'm even more excited to go through it in earnest!