Thursday, April 28, 2011

Trends from Etsy

Etsy is a great source to see what's on trend, they publish a monthly report.  Here is the May edition and some art beads that fit the themes. 

Hope: peace signs, cherry blossoms, Japan-inspired themes.

Geometric patterns: triangles & teardrops, chevrons, stripes.


Unique findings: artistic headpins & toggles.

Garden themes like gnomes, mushrooms, snails, flowers, bees and butterflies.

Put a bird on it: birds, feathers and eggs are as strong as ever.


Locked away: keys, keyholes & lockets.

Things to keep in mind for May - offer priority mail shipping for Mother's Day.

Graduation gifts are needed, create things that can be personalized with initials, school colors or the year. Owls are also fun for graduation as the go-to symbol for wisdom!

Wedding season is fast approaching - lots of opportunities there from Mother-of-the-Bride to the flower girl all need jewelry.  And brides are looking for unique thank you gifts for their wedding party.

9 comments:

Gardanne said...

Thanks so much Heather.

Georgene Lockwood said...

I'm seeing these trends in my own business. Along with the garden theme -- dragonflies and butterflies are huge. As soon as I make a piece with dragonflies it's gone.

Also fairies and angels.

Thanks for this post. I have a show a week from Saturday and I'm still putting stuff together. This just confirms what I've been suspecting!

TheAntiquePalette said...

Beautiful beads, thank you!
I never knew about etsy's monthly report, what a help that is, too.

Susie
TheAntiquePalette.etsy.com

Holly said...

I find it amazing how trends run and flow! Thanks for posting these beautiful beads.

Oh, and if you want to put a bird on it, try this! http://youtu.be/0XM3vWJmpfo

Heather Powers said...

In case you guys are wondering, yes Portlandia was my inspiration for that phrase. Cracks me up every time!

Jamie-Lynn said...

I love spring! I will definitely be putting together some more spring inspired pendants!

mairedodd said...

i kept thinking all day about how you love that show too! and how that phrase has infiltrated your thinking... nice to know i am not alone -
all of your features are beautiful - really love jess' work...

roseworksjewelry said...

Thanks for making the trends very "real" for jewelry artists!

Alice said...

Heather, thanks for taking the time to find and share these lovely creations with us. I've marked a few as favorites.