Thursday, November 14, 2013

Holiday Packaging


I update my packaging seasonally, and since the holidays are sneaking up on us, I thought I’d share how I add a little festiveness to my packages. 

Regardless of the time of year, certain ingredients (and priorities) in my packaging regimen remain consistent:

Safety: I ship in kraft jewelry boxes because of their sturdiness. I fill the boxes with kraft crinkle cut paper. Surrounding my beads in a cozy nest of paper, gives me piece of mind when I hand my packages over to the USPS.

Eco-friendly: Sticking with paper allows my customers to toss the packaging in the recycling/ compost, if they choose to not reuse. 

Cost: Simplicity costs less and cuts down on shipping costs. I also buy in bulk to get better prices. 

And the fun part, the PRETTY factor: I love receiving a pretty package in the mail. Packaging can enhance the handmade shopping experience and if it reflects the work, can strengthen the artist’s brand. I decorate kraft boxes with washi tape and secure the box with bakers twine. Each box gets topped with a hand-stamped manilla tag. Large purchases get wrapped with tissue and twine. At holiday craft shows, I offer hand-stamped muslin bags with holiday business card tags. My beads and jewelry are earthy and rustic, my packaging has a similar feel. 

Instead of going all out ‘red and green’, I try to keep my packaging “holiday neutral”. Stars and snowflakes, polka dots and stripes, earthy hues with a pop of color. This year I found washi tape in bronze/ gold hues and I pair that with a pop of red or green bakers twine. Since I don’t assume purchases are Christmas gifts, I try to create packaging during the holidays that would work as holiday wrapping, but doesn’t scream Christmas. 

If you sell online, include a picture of your packaging. Similarily, display samples of gift wrap available when selling at a show. People are busy and sometimes the convenience of having a ready to give gift, will bring in more sales. Resources for supplies listed below.






Resources:
Kraft boxes, crinkle paper, tissue paper: Papermart
Manilla tags: Uline
Washi tape, bakers twine: Etsy
Business card tags: Moo
Muslin bags: Celestial gifts

7 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! well done!
I'm in love with your new packaging!

TesoriTrovati said...

Great post, Miss Kylie! I love packaging as well. I have been gathering supplies for my holiday packages as well. Pretty ribbons and yarns, little leaf and berry sprigs from a garland, and some new brightly colored hang tags from moo cards. I am also going to be sending a pretty postcard with a postcard stamp attached as a way for my clients to pass my name on to a friend for a special referral discount. I have received your packages and they are so special. Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the day. Erin

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Gorgeous packaging!

Lorelei Eurto said...

I have to admit, I can get pretty lazy when it comes to packaging. I also do the kraft boxes, and washi tape but too often, that's where it ends. :/
You are so right about the packaging making a big difference to a buyer's experience. I feel a New Year's resolution coming on....

SusanDolphinDelaney said...

What a generous and helpful post!

Thank you,

Susan Delphine Delaney
LadyFlowersbySusan

Elizabeth Bergesen said...

Beautiful photos - love your neutral Christmas colors. I am in the process of getting my holiday themed paper out now. :)

Ann Schroeder said...

I love your packaging. The little tag cards are so cute I keep them. They hang around my bead area to add cheer. Also, thanks for the resources. I was looking for a good supplier for kraft boxes!